Artist Statement & Resume
Corbett B. Leith
12 Shirley Road
Andover, NH 03216
Painting is an adrenaline rush similar to skiing down mountains, kayaking rivers, and surfing oceans. Kayaking off a waterfall or putting a brush to canvas creates butterflies of excitement. Each painting captures a moment in the outdoors, never to be repeated, but always exhilarating and dynamic.
All of my canvases are hand stretched and every painting uses the highest quality pigments, hand mixed to last for centuries. Applying bold marks of color expressively and with confidence, the paint moves while allowing each layer to reveal the painting's history. The layers of paint are aggressive yet sensitive the same way a river is intensely powerful or deeply serene. The art is forged from memories of how incredibly fun life is!
- New Directions: Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY. 2015.
- Being Outside: Hang Art Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2013.
- California Sculpture: San Louis Obispo Museum of Art, San Louis Obispo, California. 2013.
- Same, Same, but Different: Hang Art Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2012.
- Front Lines: Hang Art Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2012.
- Artworks exhibited at Echo User Corporation, San Francisco, California. 2011-Present.
- Arpeggio Terrazzo, commission for SNK Corporation, Berkeley, California. 2011.
- San Francisco’s 35th Anniversary Open Studios, San Francisco, California. 2010.
- Group Show: Benicia Arts Galley, Benicia, California. 2010.
- Petersen/Leith Show: Internos Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2010.
- Group Show: 111 Minna Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2009.
- Group show: Petersen & Leith Studio, San Francisco, California. 2008.
- Artworks exhibited at Lyndsay McCandles Contemporary Art, Jackson, Wyoming. 2005.
- Artworks exhibited at Origo Corporation, San Francisco, California. 2005-2009.
- San Francisco's 30th Anniversary Open Studios, displayed fifteen years of art. 2005.
- Group Show: Pro Arts Gallery, Oakland, California. 2004.
- Balisle/Leith Show: Artpeople Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2003.
- Group Show: Art West Gallery, Jackson, Wyoming. 2000.
- Represented by Hang Art Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2012-Present.
- Preparator for John Berggruen Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2011.
- Preparator for Triangle Gallery, San Francisco, California. 2010.
- Co-founded and volunteer for Liquid Camp, a weeklong whitewater kayaking camp for teens living with HIV/AIDS. South Fork of the American River, California. 2004-2012.
- Owner and manager of Flying Machine Art Academy, an art school for children in San Francisco, California. 2009-2011.
- Coached whitewater slalom kayak juniors for Proctor Academy, New Hampshire. 2008.
- The Dale Carnegie Course, Public speaking course that specialized in enhancing professional people skills. San Francisco, California. 2004.
- Raced whitewater slalom for the United States Canoe and Kayak Team. 1993-1998.
- Actively trained for and pursued the 1996 U.S. Olympic Team for Slalom Kayak. 1996.
- Studied under artists Bao Ping Chen, Paul Lorenz, and Mark Zjawinski. 2001-2003.
- Apprenticeship, Fresco painting under artist Professor Frederico Bellomi. 2000.
- Studied under artist Mick Reber and David Hunt. 1993-1998.
- M. F. A., Painting, Academy of Art University, San Francisco, California, 2004.
- B. A., Double major in Art and Finance, Fort Lewis College, Durango, Colorado, 1999.
Artspan (San Francisco), Proarts (Oakland)